Thursday, January 23, 2014

To Thrift or Not To Thrift


Really. I have thrifted. All. My. Life. Not to thrift is not even an option. I was raised that way. My grandparents experienced the Depression and I grew up in a one income family. Of course, that's how it was for most back in the day. Mothers stayed home and fathers went to work. There were no two income families so everyone could have the best of everything and get lost in all their stuff.


I do find it fascinating that the 'new' trend is to thrift, repurpose, and DIY. For those of us who have been around for awhile...let's just say that's a natural way of life.


When you go thrifting, you should know what your purpose is. What are you specifically looking for. Let's take clothing, for example. My most recent thrifting trip was to look for tops that had a romantic, country look. I needed some to use as props for an old time business adventure I'm pursuing. It was so easy to do when I already had the vision of the look I was going for.


In no time at all, I was able to walk away with six tops for my business and for personal wear. Plus, I have decided to display them on my vintage hangers on a wall in a bedroom. They're too pretty to stuff away into a closet. So for $3.50 each, I have something pretty to wear, some great props for my business, and a display wall with a country, vintage flair.


Not bad. Not bad at all.
So...what about you? Do you thrift? Find anything good, lately?
Do tell and don't hold back!  

Photobucket

8 comments:

Dawn said...

I love to thrift also, and the prices are great :)

Liz said...

I love thrift shops!! You can find so many good deals in them. To bad i can't get my daughter to see how fun and useful it is. Great find on the tops!

Sarah Adams said...

Hi Cindy. If you have kept up with my adventures you probably know that I have just started thrifting recently and I LOVE it! Been visiting in Kansas and got to do quite a bit of thrifting :)

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh yes...I go thrifting every chance I get. My newest finds have been handmade baskets. Love the tops you found...so pretty!
hugs,
Cindy

Celestina Marie Design said...

Hi Cindy, Yes, thrifting is a way of life when you are creative and more. I've been at it forever~~~
Love the tops you found for your upcoming business and display. They look great on your vintage hangers.
So glad you are back to posting again.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs

Pamela Gordon said...

I haven't thrifted in a while but I do enjoy it when I get to a good store. I may stop into a thrift store this afternoon. Do you suppose I'll find something? The vintage looking shirts are pretty.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I started thrifting as a poor newlywed. Auctions were the big thing for me back then. It was the cheapest way to furnish a house. I still love the thrill of finding a gem for next to nothing!

The Farmers Daughter said...

Of course I thrift! But, you already know that! Nice display!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...